Friday, January 22, 2010

reflection #4

Reading these essays has made me think about human evolution more than I have ever before. I learned that there are still many unanswered questions and doubts about the human evolution. I learned that there were many different stages to the human before we got to what we look like now. As the years passed, the human evolved into a much bigger species. The newer findings are much taller, have way bigger brain sizes, and the jaws and teeth are bigger as well. For instance, “lucy” was only about 3 feet 8 inches. Very small compared to a female of today. As the human developed, the body grew bigger and more upright, less and less like an ape. I think the most important thing I learned from these readings is that the process of us getting to what we are now took many years. As they find more and older forms of the human, I realize that the changes were small. Little by little the human changed very slightly like in the way he stood, the shape of its jaw, the size of its teeth and the length of the arms or legs. I believe that these findings are taking us closer and closer to the base of the tree. Many people disagree with the fact that the first humans came about in Africa, but these readings make it pretty clear that they did. These readings have affected my beliefs in a large way. Not only these readings, but also everything I have been taught in school about the human evolution. As I grew up I was taught that adam and eve were put on earth and this is where us humans came from. It always seemed very fictional to me that this could be the way the entire human population came about. Also, my parents never supported the idea of humans evolving from apes. The scientific explanations to human evolution are far more credible to me. I would rather base my beliefs on actual facts. I now have a stronger belief in the fact that we evolved from the chimp family. There is just so much that we have in common with them from physical aspects, to the way that we use tools. I am amazed that the human species has evolved so much and only makes me think that we will continue to do so. I believe that the human will forever evolve. Millions of years from now we will not look or carry ourselves in the way that we do today and that’s just the way things are. Change is part of our lives and I believe it is necessary in order to adapt to the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment